Tuesday, April 24, 2007

the "Camps"

Over the past few months I have consumed more internet-based content that one might think possible. Being gainfully unemployed for half the year does have the advantage of offering plenty of time to pursue any activity deemed worthy…and many activities not so. New Media has proven to be more than worthy of my time in that it has relit my imagination and encouraged me to get involved.

PodCamp and BootCamp.

In the past two weeks I have attended not one, but two PodCamp events. The first, PodCampNYC, which was host to almost thirteen hundred people for all over the country, was an almost overwhelming experience. The presenters at this all day immersive “unconference” were the original pioneers of the medium and some of the best known names in the business. They covered topics like making your video podcast look more professional, developing your brand, and of course the ever-popular monetization of new media. While all these topics continued to spark ideas as to how I might make a contribution to the community, the fact still was that I hadn’t yet contributed. Without the experiences of creating a show or, at that time even a blog, I didn’t have any notes to compare. I existed as not much more than a mere spectator and ad hoc flack for Something to Be Desired. None the less, I thoroughly enjoyed my first real intro to the community.

This last weekend in my hometown of Pittsburgh, Justin Kownacki organized BootCampPGH, a far more appropriate venue for someone of my limited experience. BootCamp was designed to be a beginner-level introduction to the basics of new media for anyone who was or wished to create something for this space. Here again, leaders of the community covered topics which were more acutely suited to my needs such as finding your own voice, the basics of web design, and overviews of video podcasting.
Rather than the PodCamp assumption of working with or improving a current project, BootCamp offered an optimistic and encouraging message to those like me who are standing on the doorstep that we are welcome inside.

I am so happy to be apart of this family and I am truly committed to bring something to the table that viewers can relate to. There are several strategies being employed by podcasters and based on my personal viewing/listening habits, there’s only one that works: focus on people. Spending time in the community and seeing how much more I care about and relate to the work of those who value it, emphasizes in my mind its importance. No amount of flash on a website, cute visual effects, or flawless delivery can match someone who wants to connect to me as a person rather than a number on their view count or as a marketing demographic.

No comments: